Libya's

"Libya’s Retaliation: Mass Arrests of Nigerians After CAF Verdict on Super Eagles Incident"

 

By Achimi Muktari

 

In a shocking turn of events, the Nigerian community in Libya is facing a wave of mass arrests and fines following the recent ruling by the Confederation of African Football (CAF). The verdict, which awarded the Super Eagles three points and a fine of $50,000 against Libya, has sparked outrage across the North African country, leading to a troubling campaign against Nigerians residing in Libya.

 

The catalyst for this upheaval stems from the Super Eagles’ harrowing experience at the Al-Abraq Airport, where they were held for over 20 hours ahead of their 2025 Africa Cup of Nations (AFCON) qualifier against Libya. The Nigerian team was diverted from Benghazi to Al-Abraq at the last minute, leading to the cancellation of the match and Nigeria’s withdrawal from the game.

 

CAF’s disciplinary committee found the Libyan Football Federation (LFF) guilty of breaching several regulations and imposed the fine. However, the ruling has fueled tensions, and Libyan authorities and citizens are now taking drastic actions against Nigerian nationals in the country.

 

Arrests Begin After CAF Ruling

Following the verdict, various Libyan media outlets began to incite public sentiment against Nigerians. Social media platforms and blogs called for mass arrests, urging the government to detain and fine Nigerian workers. According to reports, Libyan television channels are advocating for fines of $500 on Nigerians who allegedly lack legal documents, in a retaliatory effort to “recover” the fine imposed by CAF.

 

Adenaike Emmanuel, a Nigerian living in Tripoli, confirmed that the arrests began almost immediately after the CAF statement. “People were arrested in some areas on Sunday morning and afternoon. Libyans believe they are getting their revenge by arresting innocent Nigerians, regardless of whether they have valid papers or not,” Emmanuel said.

 

"Nigerians Made to Pay for Football Dispute"

The President of the Nigerian community in Libya, Peter Omoregbie, also confirmed the alarming situation. In a video statement, he shared how Nigerian nationals were being targeted indiscriminately. “It doesn’t matter whether you have a passport or a residence permit. They are just rounding people up,” Omoregbie said.

 

Libyan bloggers have taken the opportunity to spread disinformation, claiming that the fines Libya must pay to CAF will be collected from Nigerian residents. One post from Libya News Today 1 stated, “The fine that Libya is accused of will be paid by Nigerian citizens living in Libya. They’re a burden on the Libyan people.”

 

Nigerian Community in Fear

The situation has left Nigerians in Libya living in fear. Some have gone into hiding, while others are pleading with the Nigerian government to intervene. In a Facebook video, Omo Oba Legba, a Nigerian in Libya, urged his fellow citizens to remain indoors. “They aren’t checking passports—they’re arresting anyone they know is Nigerian,” he warned.

 

The escalating situation has sparked international concern, with human rights organizations warning of the potential for retaliatory actions to spiral out of control. Ahmed Hamza, Chairman of Libya’s National Institution for Human Rights, called on Libyan authorities to stop the crackdown. “We warn against any form of retaliation against foreign workers, especially Nigerians, over the CAF ruling,” Hamza said.

 

Diplomatic Silence

Attempts to reach both Libyan and Nigerian embassies for official comments have so far been unsuccessful. The Nigerian government has been urged to investigate the situation and take swift action to protect its citizens. Former Nigerian Ambassador to Mexico, Ogbole Amedu-Ode, stressed the need for the Federal Government to report the case to the African Union and gather evidence of the mistreatment for diplomatic protest.

 

As the arrests continue and tensions escalate, Nigerians in Libya are hoping for a resolution to this crisis. For now, the fear of further retaliation looms large, with the Nigerian community left to navigate the dangers of a football dispute that has spiraled into a full-blown crisis.

SIMILAR STORIES

Subscribe to our Newsletter

Advertisement

Poll